Sunday, March 31, 2013

Qualifying for the Track and Field Club National Championship

Recently, I wrote about getting the sub 4:30 mile.  The chips didn't fall where I had hoped for this indoor season. Will there be other chances? Maybe. Will I have to arrange some crazy set-up to make it happen? Perhaps.
But putting it on the back burner for now, there are others goals. The big one is qualifying for the Track and Field Club National Championship on June 28th and 29th at Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island in NYC.Mission accomplished.  This was nearly a 13 second chop off the ol' PR of 10:07.63, which I set at Club Nat's in 2011(placed 5th!)  So, first time under 10mins, feel pretty good!  Although I led the race from the starting gun until about 2860m...it's a 3000m race.  Billy Howell torched me like a pack of angry villagers chasing a horrible monster, catching me with about 140m to go and unleashing a nasty kick as I was running out of gas. Kudos to that young buck!  Also, I was on pace to crack the GSTC club record in the steeple through 2k, maybe next time...
 
listen at 3:08, if you were there, you would have felt the raw power of Paziora and Howell!

All in all, a great day, I spent some time chatting with the student athlete Roadrunners and went for a warmup and cooldown with a few of them, hit up the old stomping grounds in the Ramapo Reservation. We had a blast joking about the old team records, chatting about trail racing, other alums we know, and about how Tim Paziora has Creed stuck in his head lately. Thus, Tim and Billy broke into a lightly embellished duet parody sampling of Six Feet from the Edge . I was wildly amused. I felt very welcomed and was glad to have raced at my Alma mater.  If running doesn't work out for them, they might have a career, er um, hobby, lined up in putting together a Creed tribute band!

1 comment:

  1. Great job showing the college kids how the old guys can do it!

    ReplyDelete