Sunday, September 13, 2020

Plantar Fasciitis


"Plantar what?"
Plantar [Fa-shitis]. Yes, Plantar Fasciatis is your new favorite personal plague. This is a common condition many people areafflicted by at some point in their adult lives. Many non-athletic people will suffer from this as a result of many years of desk sitting. I'll explain soon, but first; what is the Plantar Fascia?
The Plantar Fascia is a large ligament that connects the calcaneal tuberocity to the metatarsal heads between each toe. In the image of my right foot below, I have flexed my toes back to show the thickest part of the Plantar Fascia. I found some grisly images of Plantar Fascias on the web that look like they came out of a medical school lab session. Like me, you are probably not in Medical School, so my foot will suffice for this example.
Circled with arrows pointing to it: My Plantar Fascia

So, I've been experiencing the fun mixed bag of an acute pain directly under my heel, through the middle of the plantar fascia itself, and a weird "pokey-tingling" sensation near the metatarsal heads.  I have had bouts with this problem over the past 10 years. You are reading this, so you probably have it too, welcome to the club!

Let's talk symptoms: 1-Feels like the middle of your arch is going to rip in half? 2-First step up out of bed in the morning feels like you've stepped on a bamboo shoot trap in the jungle? Sometimes it eases up after the first moments of terror, but many days it linger and aches with no end, "am I right here, Dude?"
Ok, so free advice (and feel free to gimme a $1 for this since good advice is never free), go buy a little gadget called "Foot Rubz", it's about $8-10 and you can use to massage under your PF and it will break up scar tissue and promote circulation to the area in a way that a tennis ball, frozen water bottle, or golf ball are simply just not going to be able to do. No one is paying me to tell you about this product, I'm too lazy to link up with them on this. Aside from that, you can simply get on youtube and find plantar fascia stretches and foot and lower leg muscle strengthening exercises. I'm just reminding you, "the internet knows everything". Orthotics aren't going to make it go away, pills won't do a damn thing, don't be soft! 

You have to work on that thing if you want it to stop hurting. Start thinking of your ability to walk or run without pain in the PF as part of the bigger picture, it will open your eyes to the general state of non-care that you have allowed yourself to slip into. Like your house, your need to maintain all parts of it, and your body needs the same or things breakdown and then life isn't so nice. Our bodies are our home, and if you need to walk or run, you need your Plantar Fascia to be flexible and operating well.

Your welcome, that'll be $1 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment