Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Living a Runner's Dream

People remark to me when they learn I am "A Runner", that they "hate running", "couldn't run down the street", "would only run to catch the bus", etc.  Or sometimes, they ask simply, "Why do you do it?"
I find the why a more interesting thing to respond to, it is open-ended. Perhaps they actually want to gain some insight. 
 I'm going to cut to it now. Nevermind specific race goals for the year, nevermind why I started. Let me tell you why I won't stop.
 I am living the dream: Every time I get going, even when the weather sucks and I am alone wishing I had a buddy out there with me, I am at least 51% glad that I made the effort.  The pain comes with the territory, and there are far more painful things than running injuries and pushing yourself to the limit over and over again. Every step is worth everything I get back from it. I see things that most people won't see, I continue to meet exceptional people because we run. Goals always seem just around the corner, adventures are in every direction. I have been doing this for almost 20yrs, I've run enough miles to encircle the earth and then some.  I can look back on it so far and realize I have accomplished a lot for myself and with teammates, on my terms, in my own time, on my level. Why Would I ever stop?

My team, the distance runners at least, we roll deep.

Now I ask You, "Why do you NOT run?"
That's enough, chew on it...and get your ass out the door, the world probably needs you to run all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment